"Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get"
Mark Twain's words make us learn that our expectations are something different from what we get.We keep expectations from every other human being and even expect from God to do miracles.In Business , Customer expects huge service whereas Vendor expects from client.Each one of us is a part of process of expectations.
I went to south indian food chain where I requested for extra sambhar.The service representative smiled back and served a bowl of sambhar.After a duration of 2 weeks , I visited the same food chain.This time I requested for extra sambhar to different waiter and got reply that extra charges would be incurred. I replied back to waiter about my previous exp. at the food chain when I did got it without extra charges. I realized that previous service guy served me to impress me with good service but that raised my expectation. I concluded that whole team must deliver at same par to Managers or clients & must not over deliver to impress the client.Increasing the level of expectations always results in negative impact on Values and Profits.The new age Business Leaders must learn the art of managing expectations of customer or team.The way we learn subjects like Cost Management , there is a need to learn Expectation Management.
Expectation Management is not just not required in Business.The great deal of this art is required in handling various relationships.I have observed various Couples in Cold war, Divorce stages just due to the issues related to expectation.During College days ,guys are mostly used to do everything for girls which gives birth to the level of expectations.After college when the same couple faces tough practical life the ground reality changes whereas expectation remains same.Keeping more of sugar at one place for long time always attracts Ants or Insects.Expectations are just like these Ants or Insects which ruin the loving relationship.We must learn to control our emotions,love etc in any relationship.Due to issues related to expectation , We always end up in ruining our partner and relationship also.Living up to or beating the expectations of lover is always a great exp. for both but we must regulate the magnitude according to maturity of our lover.
Please feel free to provide any comments on Expectations.....See now I am expecting comments from you.It's Human Tendency.....We can not give away this thats why we need to regulate and manage.
Cheers!!!
Gaurav Lakhani
2 comments:
Hi Gaurav,
Well I am not aware of the rating of the restaurant that you visited but nowadays companies do not consider customer as the king. For them, only the profitable customer is the king.
As its just 20% of the customers that actually give them 80% revenues, it makes sense for them to just focus on those 20% high net worth individuals.
If you are visiting next time, based on some past data , it can be known whether you belong to that 20% or not - If not you would see such callous attitude.
Same thing is happening in services sector also.
The first time you call customer care and your query seems to be trivial, they mark you as red. Next time you would be just hearing computer voices and it will be difficult to actually talk to a customer care executive. But if u r a high net worth customer, you would be connected straight to CCE.
Agreed , Thanks a lot for comments.I wanted to stress more on expectation management.
Post a Comment